Each spring the University of Iowa Student Government (UISG) and Graduate & Professional Student Government (GPSG) solicit applications to fill student vacancies on Presidential Charter and All-University committees. All UI students are eligible and are encouraged to apply. The deadline for applying for committee openings is Friday, April 14, 2016, at 12:00 PM.
Presidential Charter committees play an important role in the shared governance of our University. Charter committees were established in an effort to assure that University-wide services and activities are carried out in the best interests of the UI community. Their general responsibility is twofold: 1) to recommend and to advise on the formulation of University policy, and 2) to assist in the interpretation of University policies to their respective constituencies. Please consider playing a critical role in the shared governance of the University of Iowa by applying today.
(Note: While the two student governments coordinate the selection process and act in a liaison role to the Presidential Charter Committees, these committees are distinctly separate from UISG and GPSG).
The following committees (Charter and All-University) and number of openings for student members include:
- Campus Planning (3 student positions)
- Council on Teaching (4 student positions)
- Diversity (4 student positions - 2 undergraduate, 1 graduate, & 1 professional)
- Family Issues (3 student positions)
- Financial Aid Advisory (6 student positions - 1 student co-chair)
- Hancher Auditorium (6 student positions - 1 student chair)
- Information Technology Advisory (2 student positions)
- Parking and Transportation (4 student positions)
- Recreational Services (5 student positions - 1 student co-chair)
- Research Council (2 student positions - 1 undergraduate & 1 graduate)
- University Lecture Committee (7 student positions - 1 student chair)
- University Libraries (4 student positions - 2 undergraduate & 2 graduate or professional)
- University Safety & Security (3 student positions)
- Presidential Committee on Athletics (2 student positions - Non-Charter)
- Sustainability (4 student positions)
- Student Judicial Court (4 student positions)
Find more information on these committees at the Presidential Charter Committees website: http://president.uiowa.edu/about-university/charter-committees
If you currently serve on a committee and desire to serve another term, you must complete the application in full and include why you are interested in serving another term. Committee terms will begin in September 2016. Interviews will be Sunday, April 23, 2016, in the Student Activity Center Conference Room (260D IMU). You must also sign up for an interview time in the Center for Student Involvement & Leadership at 145 IMU by 12:00 PM on April 14, 2016. You will be informed of the decision in the following days. Note: If you currently serve on a committee, and your term is expiring, you must reapply if you would like to remain on the committee.
Please contact one of the following with questions:
UISG (undergraduate)- firstname.lastname@example.org
GPSG (graduate/professional)- email@example.com
Please use the following link to submit your application: https://orgsync.com/14241/forms/252581